Creator of the 'Sandwich'
It is said that Lord Sandwich was very fond of gambling & spent endless hours playing cards often not stopping & taking the time to have a meal during his long hours of playing cards.
He wanted something to eat that allowed him to continue playing cards without using a fork & without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands. Lord Sandwich came up with a solution, he asked his valet to bring him meat tucked between 2 slices of bread. He became very fond of this form of food. This habit became well known among his gambling friends & started asking for "The same as Sandwich" later calling it just "Sandwich".
* Lord Sandwich was a great supporter & funder of Captain Cook. To honour Lord Sandwich Captain Cook named islands after him. This including Sandwich Islands which is now known as Hawaii.
* Before being known as a Sandwich it was simply known as "bread & meat" or "bread & cheese".
* First Recorded Sandwich was by the famous Rabbi Hillel the Elder who lived during the 1st Century BC.
* Sandwiches were first considered as a restaurant affair.
* In the 6th - 16th Century people used bread as a plate
* The Sandwich was first introduced to America by Eliza Leslie in her cookbook 'Directions for Cookery in its Various Branches', where she has a recipe for Ham Sandwiches
*Sandwiches became popular in America when bakeries started selling pre-sliced bread in the late 1920s & early 1930s. This made sandwich making very easy to create & a portable meal for workers & school children.